Friday, December 09, 2011

An Afternoon At Bendemeer

I brought my grandmother to the Bendemeer market a few days ago for her to visit the hairstylist and also to get some groceries from the market. I thus had the chance to eat at the market.

It brought back many memories eating at the old market as I grew up there. I ordered a plate of chicken rice and shared a table with two young boys.

The two boys reminded me of when i was just like them many years ago, eating at the hawker centre and later playing in the afternoon. They boys were quite adorable, playing their nintendo ds and at the same time eating their lunch.

At that moment, i was reminded to share about Christ with them. And the moving in my heart was especially strong as the boys just reminded me about the times when i was young and just like them. I didn't know how to initiate a conversation without scaring the boys away as they were only 12 years of age. But i prayed to God in my heart silently that i can share Christ with them.

Then i asked them something close to my heart, "You guys stayed around here?". They replied, "nope, we stay in Hougang." I replied to them back that i used to stay around there and am currently also staying in Hougang. I next asked them then why are they here then to which they replied, that one of the boy's father had a shop there. I replied that my grandfather too, used to have a textile shop here. And so, with that, barriers between us started crumbling.

Soon, as we chatted and got to know more about their background, the schools they were studying (Holy Innocents), I asked them if in Holy Innocents did they hear about Jesus Christ? They said yes but they had  believed in other religions already. I then remembering Jesus example with the Samaritan woman on how He did not change the subject with the woman, and told the boy if he knew that believing in Christ was important? That one day we will die and where will we head towards? Heaven or Hell?

I think by God's grace, their responded quite positively and started asking questions which allowed me to share more about Christ. I also got to know that they were having a little waveboarding tournament in the afternoon. We later left and i took two Ultimate Questions booklet and went to the basketball court where they were having their tournament and passed the booklet to them.

I thank God for the chance and also for the moving in my heart to share Christ with them. I hoped that on that day, the gospel seed was sowed in their hearts and it may grow fully one day.

No comments: